Health & Home Support

Advanced Directives – Available at the Township office: 4340 Prince St. Downers Grove

  • Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare – enables you to designate a trusted person as an agent to make health care decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated. You may give this person the authority to initiate or terminate specific medical procedures and life support systems.
  • Durable Power of Attorney – authorizes a representative to act on your behalf in private affairs, business, or some other legal matter.
  • Living Will – allows you to describe the medical care you wish to receive if your medical condition becomes irreversible. It is different from a Durable Power of Attorney because an agent has not been assigned to speak on your behalf.
  • Five Wishes – this is a detailed document describing choices in the type of care and treatment you wish to receive in case of serious illness. It deals with personal, emotional, medical and spiritual needs. Five Wishes can be used instead of a living will or durable power of medical attorney. It is legal in 44 states and used in all 50 states. For more information, contact Aging with Dignity, PO Box 1661, Tallahassee, FL 32302-1661 or call (850) 681-2010 – Copies are available at the township office for $1.00.

Vision Impairments – devices are available at the Spectrios Institute for Low Vision, at the Deicke House in Wheaton. Devices include talking clocks, watches, calculators, thermometers, low vision computer keyboards with large keys or keyboard overlays, playing cards, bingo cards, address books in large print, easy to read kitchen timers, magnifying mirrors and bold line writing paper. For information call (630) 690-7115.

Hearing Impairments Free Amplified Telephones and Teletypewriters are available for loan to Illinois residents who have a certified hearing loss by the Illinois Telecommunications Access Corporation. ITAC also provides a relay service, which allows trained operators to relay conversations over the telephone between a person using an assistive telecommunications device and a person who uses a voice telephone.

Contact ITAC at (800) 841-6167 V/TTY or:

Dentistry for the Homebound – The Dentistry Foundation provides a full range of dental services for the homebound and handicapped. These include fillings, cleanings, bridges, crowns and dentures. Fees are determined using a sliding scale. Portable equipment enables us to serve this special group of patients. Call for an appointment (312) 440-8976.

Illinois Dept. of Aging, or call (800) 942-9412 – Community Care Program 

Adult Day Care Center – provides activities and socialization for elderly persons in a supervised and supportive environment, while family care givers get a respite. Call the Community Adult Day Care Center in Downers Grove at (630) 968-1060, for information.

In-Home Senior Respite Program – provides trained volunteers who visit a frail senior weekly so that family caregivers can take a regularly scheduled break. Call Metropolitan Family Services DuPage at (630) 784-4875.

Guest House for Seniors – provides short-term overnight care for older adults who cannot be left alone, provided in a comfortable family-style home located in Elmhurst. Services include home cooked meals, household care, activities and socialization. Call Metropolitan Family Services DuPage at (630) 653-2397. Short-term overnight stays are also provided at various nursing homes.

Home Delivered Meals – are brought to older persons who are homebound on weekdays at noontime. Call DuPage County Senior Services at (800) 942-9412. OR DuPage Senior Citizen’s Council at (630) 620-0804

Homemaker/Home Health Aide Service – Community Care Program is a subsidized housekeeping service for seniors who have a low income and few assets. Call DuPage County Senior Services at (800) 942-9412.

In-Home Care Services – Private agencies provide in-home nursing care services, physical and occupational therapy, and nutrition information, as well as, personal care tasks such as bathing, dressing, housekeeping, meal preparation and grocery shopping. Fees may vary, and it’s important to inquire how the agency operates.

Ask questions such as: Is the agency licensed, certified for Medicare reimbursement or accredited? Will care continue if Medicare or other third-party payments end? Request written descriptions of the agency’s services, charges and payment procedures. A listing of agencies is available from the County at (800) 942-9412 or at the township office.

Metropolitan Family Services DuPage – offers counseling in the office and at home. Also offered are support groups and educational classes such as Powerful Tools for Care giving, for more information call (630) 784-4800.

The Community House – Support for individuals dealing with depression, anxiety, life transitions, challenging relationships, grief and more.

DuPage County Division of Human Services – Offers a wide array of services for DuPage County residents through its “intake” line. Call (800) 942-9412

HCS Services – Seniors in financial need have access to a food pantry, used clothing, and emergency financial assistance. Serves residents in Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Darien, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Westmont and Willowbrook. For more information: (630) 323-2500.

Free Coast2Coast Rx Prescription Drug Discount Cards – Township residents may participate and save on the cost of medications (brand name/generic), medical services (dental, vision and hearing care) and obtain an Rx card at participating pharmacies, agencies and the township office. You can register and print the Rx card, check prescription prices and view the nearest participating pharmacy locations at

Temporary Handicap Placards (Available at the Township thru December 2020 only) Temporary placards (red) are valid for up to six months. There is no fee. Applications for placards must be completed by a physician and submitted to the Secretary of State’s office. Applications are available at the township office, Secretary of State Vehicle Services Dept. or Persons with Disabilities License Plates/Placard Unit at (217) 782-2709. Permanent placards (blue) must be renewed every four years.


Comments are closed.