Senior Advisory Committee (SAC)
The Downers Grove Township Senior Advisory Committee is a consortium of seniors, local law enforcement, fire protection, park districts, governmental and community agencies with a shared goal of improving the quality of life for older adults.
The committee investigates the level and nature of the ability of senior citizens, specifically persons 55 years and older, to maintain their self-sufficiency and personal well-being within programs that are currently available. If unmet needs are demonstrated, the committee reports these needs to the township board.
There are nine voting members on the senior advisory committee who must live within the township boundaries. The committee works in cooperation with the Illinois Department on Aging, Department of Transportation and other township agencies and community groups, as mentioned above.
The committee does not create programs out of mere convenience nor duplicate services already being provided to senior citizens, but is specifically charged to examine the current status with a viewpoint to supplementing and assisting existing programs or instituting new programs if there is a real and crucial need for services which are not currently being provided.
Advisory Committee Responsibilities
- Better the quality of life for older adults in the township by providing necessary information and services
- Help evaluate the effectiveness of Township sponsored programs, make recommendations for revisions or establish new programs as needed
- Help generate public awareness of Township–sponsored senior services
- Advise/assist the Senior Services Coordinator with programs as needed
- Advise the Coordinator about comments, complaints, suggestions, requests and input they receive from residents/agencies in the Township
The Senior Advisory Committee usually meets on the first Monday of every month from 1:30-2:30pm in the Township meeting room. The yearly calendar agendas and minutes are located separately under Senior Services.
The public is welcome to attend and comment.
Division of Human Services
Cathy Rager Senior Services Coordinator
Phone: (630) 719-6670
Fax: (630) 719-6608
Please consider donating to FFDGTS a not-for-profit organization that supports programs and services offered by the Township that foster the independence and well being of older adults.
See other Charitable Organizations we support.