NIDA’s – National Drug & Alcohol Facts Week 3/22/21 – 3/28/21; Great site for Parents & Teens
E-Cigarette – FAQS
An electronic cigarette or e-cigarette is a handheld electronic device that vaporizes a flavored liquid. The user inhales the vapor, so e-cigarette use is called vaping. The fluid in the e-cigarette, called e-liquid, is usually made of nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerin and flavorings (Wikipedia.org). Local data illustrates E-Cigarettes use among teens:
- Illinois Youth Survey statistics showed the following:
- IYS Survey 30-day “conventional” cigarette use rates for 12th graders in DuPage County is 3% (a decrease of .6% from 2016).
- IYS Survey 30-day use of E-Cigarettes by 12th graders in DuPage County is 30% (an increase of 131% from 2016).
E-Cigarettes and teens:
Electronic Cigarette Delivery Systems (ENDS): www.fda.gov/tobaccoproducts/labeling/productsingredientscomponents/ucm456610.htm
Opioid – FAQS
Opioids are a class of drugs that include the illegal “street” drug heroin as well as powerful pain relievers available legally by prescription, such as oxycodone (OxyContin®), hydrocodone (Vicodin®), codeine, morphine, fentanyl, and many others. While opioids can be helpful as a pain reliever, they are often misused and may sometimes lead to heroin use. Parents- check out the facts!
Heroin – FAQS
Heroin is synthesized from morphine, a naturally occurring substance extracted from the seedpod of the Asian opium poppy plant. Heroin usually appears as a white or brown powder or as a black sticky substance, known as “black tar heroin.”
Heroin can be injected, inhaled by snorting or sniffing, or smoked. All three routes of administration deliver the drug to the brain very rapidly, which contributes to its health risks and to its high risk for addiction.
Some Tools in Use for Combating the Overdose Crisis
- Prescription drug take-back programs: https://gis.dupageco.org/rxboxlocations/
- Overdose reversal drugs (i.e. Narcan & Naloxone)
- Public education on pain medication dosage
- Availability/Accessibility reduction
- “Re Use” & “Mis Use” targeting: the public, prescriber(s), pharmacies, insurance companies, schools and community
- > Human Services > Parent Services Trending Topics
Please consider donating to FFDGTS a not-for-profit organization that supports programs and services offered by the Township that foster the independence and well being of older adults.
See other Charitable Organizations we support.