- My Township
- Highway Department
- Human Services
- Recent News
- Youth Services
- Parent Resources
- Senior Services
- Senior Resource Directory
Illinois Department of Human Services Grant
For over twelve years the Township of Downers Grove has been administering a block grant received from the Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS) for prevention services. For almost 7 of those years, one full-time employee has worked in partnership with local middle and high schools, police departments and other agencies to provide drug prevention education and life skills to youth ranging in age from 10-17 throughout the Township.
In late 2002, additional funding was applied for and granted allowing for another full-time employee to be hired on the grant. This employee began in September 2003 to work specifically with an undeserved portion of the township in the southeast corner of DuPage County.
Township personnel in collaboration and coordination with schools, local police and various community agencies and organizations, work to deliver the following programs and activities:
• Snowballs – The program offers a weekend retreat that is collaboratively organized and run by students and teachers. The weekend is prevention based focusing on good decision-making, current teen issues, and positive messages on staying alcohol, tobacco, and drug free.
• Snowflake – A day long event for seventh grade students that explore leadership and communication skills, healthy decision-making, substance abuse prevention and how to resist negative peer influences.
• Peer-led Prevention Education Life Skills Program – A yearlong life skills program is taught at a local middle school by teens trained in prevention education.
• Intergenerational Activity – local teens plan, organize and host an interactive with residents at the Oak Trace Home to foster intergenerational relationships.
• Coalition Consultation & Related Activities-Collaboration & statistical collection with local agencies.
• Too Good for Drugs – Drug prevention education model program taught at the middle school level.
• Communication Campaigns – Drug prevention messages targeting parents and youth in our community.
**Funded by the Illinois Department of Human Services**
For more information about the grant, please contact:
Division of Human Services
Phone: (630) 719-6684
Fax: (630) 719-6608
4340 Prince Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Main (630) 719-6600
Mon - Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Highway Department Hours
Effective: May 1 - October 31
Mon - Fri, 7 am - 3 pm
Mon - Fri, 9 am - 4 pm
Freedom of Information Request
Financial Audit 2013
Annual Treasurer's Report 2013
Township Budget 13-14
Highway Budget 13-14
Board Meeting Schedule 2013
Holiday Schedule 2013