Downers Grove Township provides various programs that focus on youth. Among them: a substance abuse prevention grant targeting youth ages 10 through 18, and life skills classes targeting elementary and middle school students. For more information about specific programs, you can explore our website or call Human Services at (630) 719-6670.
- Let’s Talk Teens – Smoking weed can cause a multitude of problems for youth! October 16, 2017 Smoking weed can cause a drop in grades, dropping out or sports/activities, frequent suspension, skipping classes, mood swings, decreased family involvement, increased fighting with siblings, sleeping in class, depression, temper outbursts and more! Does this describe you or someone you care about? (http://www.rosecrance.org/) 81% of Burr Ridge Middle School 8th graders report they get mostly ...
- Let’s Talk Parents – Have you set clear rules and talked to your kids about marijuana? October 9, 2017 Two-thirds of kids say that upsetting their parents or losing the respect of family and friends is one of the main reasons they don’t smoke marijuana or use other drugs. Have you set clear rules and talked to your kids about marijuana? (http://www.drugfree.org/) 83% of Burr Ridge Middle School 8th graders say their parents set ...
- Let’s Talk Teens – One study shows that teens who use marijuana are more likely to use other drugs. September 18, 2017 One study shows that teens who use marijuana are more likely to use other drugs, especially prescription drugs. Heroin use is linked to the use of prescription drugs. (https://www.samhsa.gov/) 97% of Burr Ridge Middle School 8th graders say they have not used marijuana in the past 30 days. (Illinois Youth Survey 2016)
- Peer Jury Program Update August 10, 2017 RE: Peer Jury Program Effective July 25, 2017, the Peer Jury program administered by the Human Services Department of Downers Grove Township has been suspended. DG Township Supervisor Mark Thoman released the following update: We are pleased and encouraged to see residents following up on the consensus reached as a direct result of frank discussions at our August ...
- Let’s Talk Teens – In 2011 alone, about 188,000 people under age 21 visited an emergency room for injuries related to drinking alcohol. August 7, 2017 Drinking alcohol can cause young people to have accidents and get hurt. In 2011 alone, about 188,000 people under age 21 visited an emergency room for injuries related to drinking alcohol. (https://teens.drugabuse.gov) 98% of Burr Ridge Middle School 8th graders say it would be wrong or very wrong for them to have one or two ...
- > Human Services > Youth Services
Fight the Bite
4340 Prince Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Main (630) 719-6600
Mon - Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm