Job Announcement: Part-time Seasonal Life Skills Teacher
GENERAL DESCRIPTION & BACKGROUND:
This is a part time position that coincides with the school calendar (late August – late May). The life skills teachers focus on the supplemental education of several social-emotional topics that include; anti-bullying, stress management, goal setting, and prevention of alcohol, tobacco and other drug abuse. The life skills program targets youth in grades 4th through 8th. Downers Grove Township includes several communities and provides life skills programs to numerous elementary and middle school students.
The candidate will be one of two life skills teachers in a three-person Township Human Services staff team who serve local youth, families and senior citizens with programs that are based on education, prevention and early intervention. Staff members have individual job responsibilities but also may work together on collaborative projects and assist in other program areas as needed.
- Develop, implement, and teach life skills curriculum for grades fourth through eighth in the Township elementary, middle and junior high schools.
- Remain current on research and statistics related to child and adolescent development, social and emotional intelligence and all life skills topics taught in our programs.
- Work with Life Skills Education Coordinator to maintain and update life skills curricula with current research and continue to fulfill the State Board of Education’s “Social Emotional Learning Standards”.
- Maintain relationships with classroom teachers and/or social workers to provide a customized program when necessary.
- Continue to promote the Life Skills program and assist in expanding the program to schools located within the Township.
- Participate in events held within the Township boundaries on an as needed basis.
- Attend professional development trainings to support and add value to the life skills program.
- Be knowledgeable in general human services information and act as a referral source on prevention topics for human service workers, community leaders and the public.
It is essential that the candidate understand and support the philosophy and basic concepts of community-based prevention, be self-motivated and creative, have good interpersonal skills, relate well to adults and youth, work effectively with other Township staff, have basic computer literacy and be willing to work flexible hours when needed.
Teaching credentials and certification will be a strong factor in evaluating the applicant. A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is appropriate but is not a requirement if the candidate has other training and experience.
Applications are also welcome from candidates who have more limited experience but have a strong interest in prevention and would be excited at having the opportunity to advance their skills. Training and support will be available.
SUPERVISION: The employee will report to the Township Supervisor.
SALARY: This is paid on an hourly basis and is commensurate with experience. There are no benefits with this position.
STARTING DATE: The anticipated start date for the successful candidate would be August 27, 2018.
TO APPLY: Send your resume to the attention of Mark Thoman at the above address as soon as possible. Inquiries for more information are welcome by phone at (630) 719-6610 or by e-mail (preferred method).
Contact: Mark Thoman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fight the Bite
4340 Prince Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Main (630) 719-6600
Mon - Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm