Changes to the Senior Citizens’ Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption for 2018
Who is eligible?
To qualify you must:
- establish age, ownership and residency, by applying for the Senior Homestead Exemption (which requires you to be age 65 by December 31st of the assessment year for which the application is made).
- have a total household income (before deductions) of $55,000 or less for the calendar year prior the application year.
- Effective for the 2018 pay 2019 tax year, the maximum allowable household income is $65,000.
- own and occupy the property on or before January 1st of the application year and prior base year.
- be liable for payment of real estate taxes on the property.
In some cases, the surviving spouse of an eligible senior citizen may qualify.
How do I apply?
Eligible senior taxpayers must complete an application/affidavit. This form must be signed and notarized. Income from all household members needs to be itemized and totaled. For 2010, pay 2011 tax year eligibility, the senior taxpayer must complete an application showing 2009 household income.
All information acquired from the application is confidential and may be used only for official purposes. The deadline to file the application is October 1st. Each year, the Supervisor of Assessments will mail annual renewal applications to those senior taxpayers currently eligible for the assessment freeze. You may obtain an application by contacting our office at (630) 719-6630 or you may download the form.
Please bring the following for ALL household residents:
- US 1040
- Social Security 1099
- All other 1099’s
For applications or questions concerning the exemption, please call the DGT Assessor’s Office at (630) 719-6630 or the Supervisor of Assessments Office at (630) 407-5858 for more information. You may view all the exemption details on the Supervisor of Assessments website here: https://www.dupageco.org/SOA/1480/
Gregory A. Boltz, CIAO
Fight the Bite
4340 Prince Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Main (630) 719-6600
Mon - Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm