Home Support Programs that Help Older Persons to Remain in Their Own Homes
Most of us want to maintain an independent lifestyle in our own home for as long as possible. However, as we age, we often discover that we could use some help to achieve this goal. For example, we may need help with house chores, with transportation, or with finding a reputable repairman. If we live alone, we may worry about summoning help in case of an emergency. Listed below are some services that enable you to remain in your own home.
- Dial-A-Ride is a curb-to-curb transportation service for Township residents ages 65 or older and to qualified persons with a disability of any age. The service is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to and from any point within Downers Grove Township. A fare of $3 for each one-way trip is paid on the bus. It is necessary to register and rides must be reserved in advance. Call the Township office at 630-719-6685 with questions or to register.
- Cab Fares at a Discount are provided by some villages to senior residents and to persons with a disability. Call your village hall to inquire.
2. Home Health Care Services
- Private Home Health Care agencies provide in-home care services including nursing care, physical and occupational therapy, nutrition information and more. Homemakers and home health aides help with personal care tasks such as bathing, dressing, housekeeping, meal preparation and grocery shopping. Fees vary. A list of agencies is available from DuPage County Senior Services at 1-800-942-9412; www.dupageco.org/Community_Services/Senior_Services/Docs/49893/
- The Community Care Program provides affordable homemakers, supervision, socialization, case management and adult day services to eligible senior citizens. For information, call DuPage County Senior Citizen Services at 1-800-942-9412.
Hospice provides compassionate care designed to meet the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of patients with a terminal illness, as well as support to family members. Hospice can be provided in your home, at an assisted living residence, a skilled nursing facility or other setting. A listing is available in the Senior Resource directory (Age Well DuPage) at www.agewelldupage.org, or you can call DuPage County Senior Citizen Services at 1-800-942-9412.
4. Home Repairs and Maintenance programs
- Minor home repairs are provided by the DuPage Senior Citizens Council for a minimal fee. Repairs include light plumbing, carpentry and electrical work. Call 630-620-0804.
- Home Weatherization Assistance provides energy saving measures to eligible persons. Services include sealing cracks, insulating walls and attics, weather stripping, as well as caulking and repairing windows and doors. Furnaces are checked for safety and efficiency. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are installed in homes without them. Contact: DuPage County Community Services at 1-800-942-9412.
5. Home Delivered Meals are provided to homebound persons age 60 or older. Volunteers also check on the safety and well being of clients. Call DuPage County Senior Citizens Services at 1-800-942-9412.
6. Emergency Response devices are designed to summon help in an emergency by pressing a “button” on a pendant that you wear. The Community Care Program can pay for this service for eligible persons. Companies that provide these services are listed in the Senior Resource directory (Age Well DuPage) at www.agewelldupage.org. You can also call DuPage County Community Services at 1-800-942-9412.
7. Counseling services are provided by professionals who help elderly persons and their families in coping with financial, emotional or personal concerns. Services are provided in the client’s home or in the office. Contact: DuPage County Senior Citizen Services at 1-800-942-9412, or the Metropolitan Family Services DuPage at 630-784-4800.
8. Books, Cassettes and DVDs are provided to homebound residents by some libraries.
The above are just some of the services that enable older persons to remain in their own homes. For more information, contact Hanna at 1-630-719-6682.
Senior Services Coordinator
Phone: (630) 719-6686
Fight the Bite
4340 Prince Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Main (630) 719-6600
Mon - Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm